18-22 June 2012
Please click on the picture below to watch the testimonies
On the 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd June 2012, the first international session of the Iran Tribunal, the Truth Commission was held in London. This session’s objective was to gather facts from those who had direct knowledge of the harrowing events that had occurred in Iran’s prisons and of the manner of the executions of thousands of political prisoners.
During five days, seventy five witnesses were auditioned by a jury composed of international personalities and law expertise known for their actions and moral integrity:
- Eric David, Professor of International Criminal Law, president of the centre for International Law of ULB (ProfessorEmeritus), Belgian.
- William A. Schabas, author, Professor of human rights law and criminal law, the Chairman of the Irish Centre for Human Rights at the National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
- Dr. Louise Asmal,author, sits on South African Board of the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation as well as the FHR, South Africa.
- Maurice Copithorne, Professor of International Law, United Nations Special Representative on the Human Rights Situation in Iran (1995-2002), Canada.
- Anne Burely, AI’s researcher, Special Advisor to the new Secretary General of AI(2002), New Zealand
- Daniel Turp, Professor of International Law, teaching at the Université de Montréal since 1982, Canada.
The report of the Commission was published on 28 July 2012 with all its attachments (including witness statements and summary of the oral testimonies). It runs to 419 pages, of which the main body of the report is the first sixty-six pages.